Guide To Temporary Events Notice

Guide To Temporary Events Notice

If you plan on having your guests buy their own drinks it’s important for you to know a thing or two about Temporary Events Notice (TEN for short). On the other hand, if you’re footing the bill you probably don’t need to read this article.

If you think you may need a TEN don’t panic. It’s totally easy to apply and costs about the same as one bottle of Jack Daniels.

“Do you have a permit for that bartender, madam?”

Picture your next event, two hours in Noah’s giving David advice on beating internet hotel deals (the trick is to wait till you’re already there apparently), and Amanda’s telling everyone who will listen how her new conservatory has “transformed her morning coffee experience and therefore her life

Clearly this is hardly the time for a PEE. (Party-Ending Event, obviously).

In your party planning process I recommend you take a few moments to check if you need a “Temporary Events Notice” to avoid running the risk of a premature finish on the night.

Many venues have a licence for the sale of alcohol but some do not (think village halls, secluded barns, your back garden)

And if the place you want to hold the party does have a licence for selling alcohol, you still need consent from the licensee.

I want to do everything I can to make sure that your event goes off without a hitch, so here is a super helpful list to tell you all you need to know about TENs.

You need a TEN if you want to carry out a ‘licensable activity’ somewhere without a license.

Licensable activities include:

  • Selling alcohol
  • Serving alcohol to members of a private members’ club
  • Providing entertainment, e.g. music, dancing or indoor sporting events
  • Serving hot food or drink between 11pm and 5am

And you need a TEN if the particular licensable activity is not included in the terms of your existing licence.

And your event must have fewer than 500 people at any time (including any staff).

And it must last no more than 7 days.

To apply for a TEN you must be over 18.

There is a limit to the number of TENs you can apply for each year (that’s why we can’t take care of it for you, sorry!) If you want to apply for multiple TENs then check out The Official TEN Page for more info.

You should make your application at least 10 days ahead of the planned event (though if you’re stuck it can be possible to get a Temporary Event Notice at shorter notice, check out the link above).

Your application should always be accepted unless either the police or environmental health think your event could:

  • Lead to crime and disorder
  • Or, cause a public nuisance
  • Or, be a threat to public safety
  • Or, put children at risk of harm

Now you know what a TEN is!

If you need more info or are ready to go ahead and make an application you should go to The Official TEN Page, enter your postcode and find the local authority to apply to.

Don’t be shy! If you’d like to talk your plans over with an events expert and find out about the services we offer that could help relieve your stress, give us a call on 01908 410747.

Close Menu